Monday, May 4, 2009


Went to see H.H. Dalai Lama yesterday with my dear friend E . I made the early morning trip down to Town Hall, on the heels of a late and emotionally charged night. Woke with swollen eyes and a a quasi-hollow heart, hoping my visit to the DL would put a few things in perspective for me.

And of course it did. I mean really...my troubles aren't so bad when compared to being forced to live in exile from your homeland for 50 years (and counting). I heard a lot of deeply insightful things yesterday, lots of juicy morsels of wisdom were spoken, things that I'll no doubt carry with me into eternity.

But the most profound thing I heard the DL say was "I don't know". He responded to a question from the former President of Ireland, Mary Robinson, with these three simple words.

"I dont know"....And right then and there I didn't feel so hollow-hearted anymore. Because he didn't know, he didn't have the answer, he didn't pretend to have the answer....didn't fast talk his way to the other side of the question, didn't defer to anyone else, didn't change the subject...he just didn't know, and he humbly admitted it.

And if the Dalai Lama can not "know", then I don't feel half bad floating through life in a general state of un-knowing.
Om Shanti...

1 comment: